Sigma Delta Pi is pleased to announce that the Epsilon Kappa Chapter of St. John’s University and the Alpha Alpha Lambda Chapter at Western Illinois University have been named co-recipients of the 2017 Frida Kahlo Award for their outstanding websites.
Any/every active chapter may nominate one (1) outstanding student per year for El Premio Gabriela Mistral. The awardee, who may be either a graduate or undergraduate student, must be an active member of Sigma Delta Pi, as defined in Article XV of the National By-laws. Nominations, together with supporting documentation, including several letters of recommendation and a current transcript, should be e-mailed to the Executive Director. Winners will be given a handsome certificate and a book award courtesy of the Gabriela Mistral Foundation. Nominations accepted year round.
Sigma Delta Pi is pleased to announce its partnership with the Gabriela Mistral Foundation,
which will provide all future winners of the Gabriela Mistral Award a copy of the Foundation’s book
From Chile to the World–70 Years of Gabriela Mistral’s Nobel Prize.
Sigma Delta Pi is pleased to announce its 6th Annual Facebook Photo Contest for the 2016-17 academic year.
Rules for submissions:
1) Photos must be posted at www.facebook.com/sigmadeltapi by April 1, 2017. Photos submitted any other way will NOT be considered.
2) Facebook photo caption line must include “2017 SDP Photo Comp” and name of chapter. Eg: “2017 SDP Photo Comp, Pi Theta”
3) Eligible entries must show name of “Sigma Delta Pi” and the Society’s logo within the picture.
4) Competitive entries will reflect mission of Sigma Delta Pi in creative, original, entertaining and coherent ways.
5) Person who posts/submits the photo must be a member (not alumni members) of an active chapter of Sigma Delta Pi; chapter Facebook group pages may also submit the photo.
6) Maximum of two photo entries per chapter.
Winning entry along with 2nd and 3rd place distinctions will be announced by April 15, 2017.
Sigma Delta Pi and the Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica (SHH) of the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese are proud to announce their inaugural chapter grant program for 2017. A Sigma Delta Pi chapter and a SHH chapter, both of active status, may apply for a joint grant of up to $300 to support a collaborative project in spring 2017 that complements the missions of Sigma Delta Pi and the SHH . This grant program aims to promote collaboration between chapters of Sigma Delta Pi and the SHH to help raise the visibility of Spanish honor societies in our communities and to incentivize high school honor society members to continue their Spanish education at the collegiate level. Deadline for applications: February 15, 2017. For the downloadable application and further details, please visit: http://www.sigmadeltapi.org/SDP-SHHchaptergrants.html
Sigma Delta Pi is pleased to announce its graduate research grant program for the summer of 2017 and the 2017-18 academic year. An eligible graduate student who is an active member of Sigma Delta Pi may apply for one grant of up to $2000 to support travel ABROAD to Spain or Spanish America for the sole purpose of research related to Hispanic Studies. No more than four total grants may be awarded in 2017 based upon the quality and depth of the pool of applications. March 1, 2017 submission deadline.
National Charter Month commemorates Sigma Delta Pi’s founding on November 14, 1919 at the University of California, Berkeley by graduate student Ruth Barnes. Please plan now to highlight your chapter and its activities during the month of November. This is also a wonderful opportunity to locate and display your chapter’s charter!
Why not plan an initiation ceremony to celebrate Sigma Delta Pi’s National Charter Month in November?!?! An induction of new members can be held any time of year, and many chapters hold multiple initiations annually (once received, all orders are processed within 24 hours).
And don’t forget our 4th annual Facebook Birthday Cake Picture Competition to celebrate National Charter Month and Sigma Delta Pi’s 97th birthday.
1) During the month of November, chapters are invited to post a picture of their unique Sigma Delta Pi b-day cakes at our FB page: www.facebook.com/sigmadeltapi.
2) The pictured cake must include a reference, etched in icing on the cake, to Sigma Delta Pi’s 97th b-day.
3) It must be an actual cake that displays the Sigma Delta Pi logo.
4) for the accompanying “description,” include the name of the originating chapter and institution. For example: “Eta Upsilon, Illinois State University.”
The winning picture will be featured during the entire month of December at Sigma Delta Pi’s FB page, and the winning chapter will receive an award certificate. Cakes will be judged on artistic merit and originality. The winning chapter will receive a $100 credit that may be applied to future orders placed with the national office.
Does your academic department display your chapter’s Sigma Delta Pi charter, repostero, or other chapter-related documents? A Sigma Delta Pi bulletin board? Begin the new academic year by ensuring your chapter is well publicized.
The College of Charleston’s display of Chapter Nu Zeta’s awards and repostero.