March 1, 2017
Submissions for Graduate Research Grants for summer 2017 and 2017-18 academic year: Click here for details.
March 2, 2017
Deadline for early bird registration for to attend the 15th Annual Sigma Delta Pi Informative Session on April 21, 2017 at the Kentucky Foreign Language Conference. Click here to register.
Sigma Delta Pi and GEICO Auto Insurance partner to give you the benefit of great rates on high-quality car insurance. In addition to your Sigma Delta Pi membership discount — which could shave as much as 8% more off GEICO’s already low prices — you’ll also receive 24-hour service online or by phone, efficient and fair claim handling, and the peace of mind that comes with being protected by an auto insurance company rated A++ for financial stability. GEICO can also help you find great insurance rates for your boat, motorcycle, home, and much more.
Start your free car insurance quote today to see how much more you could be saving with your special member discount! In turn, your completed quote will help support Sigma Delta Pi.
Please send all billing requests, invoices and ad related inquiries or schedules to PartnerSVC@geico.com
Call 1-800-342-9070 to see how much YOU could save!!! Use Referral Code 141080
Lidia I. Martínez of Sigma Delta Pi’s Chi Gamma Chapter at Stockton University (Galloway, NJ), was selected as the 2016 recipient of the Mario Vargas Llosa Award, a joint recognition of the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society and the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese (AATSP). A Spanish major with a minor in Latin American and Caribbean Studies at Stockton University, Lidia distinguished herself not only through academic excellence as an undergraduate, but also through her impressive activities beyond the classroom that included a lead acting role in Spanish in a play at the Dante Hall Theatre in Atlantic City, and a Community Engagement Student Fellow with countless hours of service to the local Hispanic community, among other activities. A leader of Stockton’s local chapter of Sigma Delta Pi and a member of the Caribbean Students Association, she has also facilitated the organization of student field-trips to New York City as well as various events for Hispanic Heritage Month. Lidia will be formally recognized during the 98th Annual Conference (July 8-11) of the AATSP in Miami, Florida during the conference’s awards banquet on Sunday, July 10, 2016 from 6:00-8:30pm.
In its 6th year, the Mario Vargas Llosa Award is granted annually to one undergraduate Spanish major or minor who is a member of Sigma Delta Pi and who has demonstrated outstanding achievement in all upper-division courses completed and exemplary involvement in extra-curricular activities as related to Spanish.
Dr. Susan Carvalho, Honorary President of Sigma Delta Pi and Associate Provost for Internationalization and Interim Associate Provost and Dean of the Graduate School at the University of Kentucky, has been named Associate Provost and Dean of the Graduate School at The University of Alabama. Click here for the University of Alabama’s official announcement.
The Executive Committee (EC) of the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society is proud to announce the appointment of its inaugural Board of Student Advisers (BSA):
Amanda Hudinsky, University of Minnesota-Morris
Monica Mancilla, University of New Mexico
Cora Spillman, Assumption College
Chase Tiffany, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Consuelo Torres, Austin Peay State University
Serving a 2-year term that begins on May 15, 2016, the members of Sigma Delta Pi’s BSA will offer feedback to the EC on select issues related to the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society. Such consultations between the EC and the BSA may include, but are not limited to:
- Identifying strategic initiatives to bolster membership.
- Providing a student perspective on proposed initiatives of the Executive Committee.
- Identifying areas of potential improvement with Sigma Delta Pi’s various programs.
- Discussing select issues and concerns at both the national (EC) and local (chapter) levels.
Congratulations to our inaugural appointees!
Any/every active chapter may nominate one (1) outstanding student per year for El Premio Gabriela Mistral. The awardee, who may be either a graduate or undergraduate student, must be an active member of Sigma Delta Pi, as defined in Article XV of the National By-laws. Nominations, together with supporting documentation, including several letters of recommendation and a current transcript, should be e-mailed to the Executive Director. Winners will be given a handsome certificate (only one awardee per chapter per year permitted). Nominations accepted year round.
Sigma Delta Pi chapter delegates (advisers, student officers and members), Executive Council Members and Honorary Presidents are cordially invited to join us for the following national events in 2016:
- Sigma Delta Pi’s 14th annual Informative Session at the 69thKentucky Foreign Language Conference (April 14-16, 2016). The Informative Session will take place Friday afternoon, April 15 (time and location TBA) at the University of Kentucky. Later that evening (April 15) at 6:30pm, Sigma Delta Pi will host a reception for our attendees and special guests in the Mason-Headley room at the Campbell House (1375 S. Broadway Rd.) in Lexington, KY. Deadline for abstract submissions to the Kentucky Foreign Language Conference is November 16, 2015. Deadline for early conference registration (required of all attendees, even if you are not presenting): TBA.
- Sigma Delta Pi will host its Triennial Convention at the AATSP’s Annual Conference in Miami, Florida (July 8-11, 2016) at the Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay Hotel, followed by a reception for all our guests. In addition, Sigma Delta Pi will host another “Informative Session” (similar to the Kentucky venue) and a “Student Best Practices” session to highlight the impressive chapter activities of our student members. Deadline for submission proposals for the AATSP Conference is November 15, 2015. Deadline for early conference registration (required of all attendees, even if you are not presenting): TBA.
Our National President, Dr. Lucy F. Lee of Truman State University, and I look forward to seeing you!
A special thanks to Vista Higher Learning for sponsoring Sigma Delta Pi’s receptions.
Unfortunately, funding for attendance to these events is not available through Sigma Delta Pi, but please consult with your local institution (home academic department, department chair, dean) for possible travel support.