Call for Student Papers
for Sigma Delta Pi’s 5th Annual “Best Practices” Session
to be held at the 99th Conference of the
American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese
Hilton Chicago Hotel: Chicago, IL
July 6-9, 2017
Student Members of active Sigma Delta Pi chapters are invited to submit a proposal for a 15-minute presentation on your chapter’s “best practices” that focuses on Sigma Delta Pi activities at your local institution. We strongly encourage proposals from student members who are actively involved in initiating, organizing, executing and/or participating in Sigma Delta Pi activities at their institutions.
By October 31, 2016, please e-mail the following to Sigma Delta Pi’s Executive Director (email@example.com):
1) your full name
2) name of your Sigma Delta Pi chapter and college/university
3) name of your chapter adviser
4) title of your proposed presentation
5) summary of your proposed presentation (no longer than 150 words)
3-4 papers will be selected from the submissions received, and the student presenters will be notified in early December 2016.
A student whose paper is selected for presentation will receive a $300 travel stipend plus paid conference registration courtesy of Sigma Delta Pi and a complimentary awards banquet ticket courtesy of the AATSP (American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese). However, the same student is expected to secure travel-related funding for all remaining expenses through his/her college/university, either via the academic departments, the dean’s or provost’s office, the office of student activities, or other institutional sources. Colleges/universities often provide funding for students presenting at conferences. Your chapter adviser can assist you with exploring these funding options. Sigma Delta Pi is unable to provide monetary support beyond the $300 travel stipend and conference registration per selected student.
For information on the AATSP conference in July 2017, please visit the website: www.aatsp.org.
Any questions should be directed to the Executive Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sigma Delta Pi congratulates the following four student members for being selected to participate in the 4th Annual “Best Practices” session at the 98th Conference of the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese,
Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay Hotel, Miami, FL, July 8-11, 2016:
Rita Maria Hess, Illinois State University
“Los niños: El futuro de Sigma”
Gayle Jeffers, Alpha Phi- Texas Tech University
“Reaching Beyond Members : The ABCs of School Based Mentoring Programs.”
Meaghan Mormann, Illinois Wesleyan University
“Breaking Walls and Building Bridges”
Jourdan Schnabel and Nathan Schmid, University of MN Morris
“Bridging Cultures: Promoting Bilingual Literacy”
Additional details regarding session time and location forthcoming in early 2016.
Sigma Delta Pi chapter delegates (advisers, student officers and members), Executive Council Members and Honorary Presidents are cordially invited to join us for the following national events in 2016:
- Sigma Delta Pi’s 14th annual Informative Session at the 69thKentucky Foreign Language Conference (April 14-16, 2016). The Informative Session will take place Friday afternoon, April 15 (time and location TBA) at the University of Kentucky. Later that evening (April 15) at 6:30pm, Sigma Delta Pi will host a reception for our attendees and special guests in the Mason-Headley room at the Campbell House (1375 S. Broadway Rd.) in Lexington, KY. Deadline for abstract submissions to the Kentucky Foreign Language Conference is November 16, 2015. Deadline for early conference registration (required of all attendees, even if you are not presenting): TBA.
- Sigma Delta Pi will host its Triennial Convention at the AATSP’s Annual Conference in Miami, Florida (July 8-11, 2016) at the Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay Hotel, followed by a reception for all our guests. In addition, Sigma Delta Pi will host another “Informative Session” (similar to the Kentucky venue) and a “Student Best Practices” session to highlight the impressive chapter activities of our student members. Deadline for submission proposals for the AATSP Conference is November 15, 2015. Deadline for early conference registration (required of all attendees, even if you are not presenting): TBA.
Our National President, Dr. Lucy F. Lee of Truman State University, and I look forward to seeing you!
A special thanks to Vista Higher Learning for sponsoring Sigma Delta Pi’s receptions.
Unfortunately, funding for attendance to these events is not available through Sigma Delta Pi, but please consult with your local institution (home academic department, department chair, dean) for possible travel support.